Saturday, May 7, 2011

Birds of A Feather On The Cycling Trail

My husband & I are so fortunate & blessed to have met, Donna who is an unbelivable individual. Donna is the mom of these two very brillant, & wonderful birds- Jake is the fluffy white feathered one, & his sibling is Sagan with all his bright colors.
The Coffee Depot at 501 Main Street, Warren, RI. http://www.coffeedepotonline.com/
Yes, most definitely a favorite point of destination whenever we're going to be cycling along the Rhode Island coast.
As you can see this favorite coffee & tea spot, is most artistically appointed. Their menu has all of the noted items that goes so very well when one needs that quick pick me up. Yesterday when my husband & I stopped in at The Coffee Depot, he had a coconut macaroon, & I decided to minimise my sweet tooth input, & chose a wonderful oatmeal cookie instead, which proved to be an excellent selection.

Here we are now at Quito's a very rustic seaside restaurant, of which our friend Peg recommended to us several years ago. It's just the right choice too, as every table has an interesting ocean view. The food is excellent too. We ordered a fisherman's platter which had shrimp, clams, scallops, haddock a baked potato & coleslaw. For an opener we had a small order of Rhode Island clam cakes. The platter is so plentiful that this time we were smart, & shared the one entree', which proved to be "just right".
As you can see from the map, that where we were, must have had the most beautiful views, & they did!

Along the bike trail here in Bristol we met Christopher.
Christopher's level of commitment to cycling is quite high, as he works out with the help of a trainer several days a week, & cycles usually three days a week or more, as he is training to participate in a Road Race this September to raise fund$ for Aids. We told him that we watch the news out of R.I., which for us is Channel 10, & that we would try to keep the race in mind, & perhaps be able to cover it on the Peace Garden blog come September.
Don't be surprised if we do, for if I can make the trip, it is most definitely a cause, that we all need to keep in the forefront of our hearts & minds.

Early season views here at Quito's.....
The winds were very active yesterday, & as you can see, there were no shortage of waves...
Here's a mom tucking in her little pink bundle, as the devoted dad looks on....
It was here on the bike trail in Bristol, R.I. that Donna introduced us to Sagan, & his sidekick Jake. Donna said that Jake & Sagan are fine with going for walks on top of the cage that she puts in her baby carriage, but Button the smaller gray bird that sits in the cage, is way too curious & friendly to be free for these walks, as Button's curiosity could get the better of him, & in his sojourn to investigate your shoes, or some activity in the bushes, could get lost or hurt, as he really does have an explorer's inquisitive nature...
Never in my life have I met such a compassionate & generous person as Donna, who cares for all these animals, her story of bringing the birds to the local park, & the children enjoying the birds company is a pure delight. Her re telling of an episode, of when occasionally an autistic child would have the opportunity to interact with her birds, & her describing the child's enjoyment, & the reaction of the parents, when she expressed that she would become all teary if she were to continue to speak of it. I totally understood. Donna is the Bird Whisperer,
If ever there is a a Bird Whisperer, she's the one.
If you'd like to find out more about Donna & her birds check out her link at
Grounded, but still trying out my set of wings here with Jake...
This cute four legged sweetie in the photo below is Rocky the dog...
Quite the setup, I must say, as it was my first time ever, of seeing such a unique & talented mom, & just before Mother's Day too, wheeling a carriage with such a distinctive assortment of God's creatures...
This young man by the name of Mike, he & my husband seemed to be engrossed in an interesting conversation, as Donna introduced me to her talented traveling menagerie...



My, my what have we here...
When we were just yards away from our car, at the end of our lovely day of cycling & all the flutter....
& what happened is still re playing in my mind a bit,
as I, as so many cyclist do, took a spill off the bike, my first, in over thirty five years! So besides the oyes, & my momentary feelings of doom, as the ambulance ride to Rhode Island Hospital, was a bit bumpy & hectic, but it was a good choice, as the Paramedics that came to my aide via/the gps on my husband's cell phone, & all the people on the bike trail were especially kind & patient, as I must have laid there for a good twenty minutes, before deciding that most definitely I had, "fallen & couldn't get up", hence our drastic change of scenery....
Though a rather bloodied thumb here, I give the entire team at the Rhode Island Hospital ER/Trauma Center, thumbs up...
An oxygen tank on the bottom of my gurney, which thankfully I did not need...
One of the imiculate halls of this unbeivablely busy trauma center, of which I was wheeled down, & just a few miutes pror to this photo walked down this very cororidor to finally the ladies room, not having been on my feet for close to five hours since the bike crash & having landed full force on my right hip.
A little weathered, & a bit tattered, but nonetheless most thankful & happy to be here, among the living. I'll keep you posted...

The weather for yesterday was a prefect day in May, beautiful spring flowers, blue skies, & ocean breezes. It was perfecto for heading up to the Rhode Island shore, as the bicycle paths along the coastline were as perfect as they could be. It was also an excellent day to meet & greet some of nicest & most interesting people one could ever encounter. Cycling paths have the tendency to bring out the friendliest & kindest of individuals, all backgrounds, ages & levels of cycling commitments can be found on any given day out on a well conditioned cycling trail, & Rhode Island is definitely stellar in their commitment in providing their citizens with the best of the best for healthy encounters of staying fit in nature. I consider myself a good rider, not an elite athlete by any means, but one who is, solid & overall good in my skills for the road, & really that's all that it takes, & a good pair of sunglasses too I must add.

**********************************************************************************

A most sincere thank you to my husband, the fellow cyclists on the bike trail in Warren, R.I., the Paramedics, & the entire staff of the Rhode island Hospital ER & Trauma Center, who gave me the utmost of exceptional attention & care, when I needed it the most.

Thank you all so very much.

& A most Healthy & Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers, of the world, their children & grandchildren, from the Peace Garden & to all her creatures residing in Mother Earth's Garden, here on planet earth.








Please feel free to share this link http://thepeacegarden.blogspot.com/
© Mother Lightning of Mother Lightning's Peace Garden

No comments: