Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Night That Was Different From All Other Nights, With A Beautiful Seder At Hyde School*



Last night was the first night of Passover with Seders taking place all over the world, by doing this we remember & honor our heritage. Jewish people of all ages have a place at the Seder, retelling the story, commemorating miracles, remembering blessed acts.

The Passover story, "The Exodus Out Of Egypt", is a major chapter in the history of the Jewish People going forth. We of course can't help but have our modern day interpretations, & commentaries of what this event means today.

"Why is this night different from all other nights?...... " Is a series of questions that goes on in four parts, & with four separate replies. The fact that we are no longer slaves, & can live & breathe in relative comfort, is a major answer to one of those questions, of which we love to ask each & every year, of our youngest at the Seder, as they read from the Haggadah.

For me, "Why was that night different from all other nights?....", so very special? Last night I ventured a bit out of my personal comfort zone, [as I do have my shyer side too], to offer my help & to participate in the Passover Seder at the school that I work at. I work at Hyde School in Woodstock,Ct. Hyde School is a college preparatory, independent, character based school, with a student body representative of all backgrounds. Hyde offers a very unique approach to educating young people, as it is the whole person that is taken into account, including each student's family, with the main aspect being "character of person". To go off to college & to prepare for a profession is all very well & good, but with the spiraling trend of our society, if character is built on, developed & fortified, at this stage of life, then good character throughout a lifetime is possible to maintain, & pass on.

Sitting at this table, for a beautiful Passover Seder, with such spiritually in tuned young people was truly a blessing to experience. I am so very proud of our students, our teachers & headmaster, for encouraging these young people to prepare & conduct this Seder, by doing so they share the beauty of an ancient heritage, which in turn fosters understanding, tolerance & discussion, which helps us in our journey, on the road towards peace.

At this time of year I especially remember my grandparents, my father's parents, who would host the Passover Seders for all the extended family. In the beginning it was the Lower East Side of N.Y. that I remember traveling to. That brimming, tenement apartment, all of us sitting around the table in my grandmother Anna's kitchen. Truly, it was priceless.

Due to such love that goes beyond our time, this season always fills me with the hope of possibility, even as these torrential rains come forth, for days of sunshine in their own time will come again to nature, of which we are a part.

A Healthy & Happy-- Passover, Easter & Naw-Ruz, the holidays of family & friends, of this spring season.

*Amen*



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Passover to you Beano.........it was a different Passover for the fam.

Mother Lightning said...

Well what a sweet comment from my husband, who is my love & very best friend. Easter is coming & we shall honor that too.