Tuesday, February 16, 2010

On A Day Such As This, No Cookie Cutters Needed--

This goofy eggplant pepper shaker was one of our souvenirs from a cross country trip my husband, son & I did almost 27 years ago. The incredible piece of wood it is placed next to was given to us by his brother, who eventually did his own unique version of a
trip to the southwest, with a friend.The above eggplant rounds with crystals glistening, a seemly ugly vegetable once the skin is removed, but oh it's hidden glory, if one is brave enough to explore.
Kosher salt, used for ages, by not only the cooks of my heritage, but gourmet chiefs world wide.
Some tools of the trade, though I don't cook a whole lot, I do enjoy the tools that make a kitchen a home, & my husband & I are forever looking for that-- just right one,
of course this gigantic spatula is really out there cooking, now that's a kookie comparison!

I must have a very strong nesting instinct, as many of us do, & periodically whenever there's a bit of snow, I indistinctly go for the cooking. I've done this as far back as high school. We'd be snowed in on one of those "yeah, it's a snow day, no school day!", & my brother "D" who is two in a half years younger, would volunteer to walk to the local neighborhood supermarket & get us chocolate chips. I'd then take the Bisquick we'd usually have on hand, add the sugar, eggs, vanilla & usually milk, I think, & then with his chocolate chips we had an excellent batch of cookies to make our snow day even better.

I sort of continued that when our own children came along, baking or cooking something of a comfort food nature. Those were the days.

Now of course it's way too risky for me to do the cookie, brownie or cup cake bit-- danger*, danger*, is the silent call at the back of my mind when it comes to sweets, as I really do have a problem with then, as yes I do love them, but they don't love me of course, as I don't burn off enough of their calories to make it a wise choice at all. So for today I've peeled, sliced & am draining some eggplant rounds. They are draining the gourmet cooking show way with a sprinkle of kosher salt, my grandmother Anna would be very proud, though I don't know if she ever cooked with one, or even had ever tasted an eggplant. In about an hour or so I will turn these eggplant slices over, change the layer of paper towels, & re sprinkle them. I really do enjoy eggplant, though the jury is out as to whether it is an appropriate food for me, as they are in the night shade category of plants, but I really do enjoy their bitter-sweet taste, crispy from the oven, fried in the pan, or stewed with sauce, either way to me eggplant is divine. Even the color speaks to me, purple a favorite from long ago, so rich & regal.

Enjoy your day, & if you're dealing with a snowy one [again] as we are, do your best, & follow those basic instincts, stay safe, dry & warm, wherever you are.

No comments: