Thursday, January 3, 2008

This Modern World of Ours


This New Year is only three days old & today I returned to work. It was necessary to go food shopping after work today as we were nearly out.  Two of our sons are home with us for a bit more time, as they will be heading back to their Universities next week. My domestic skills are the bare minimum, thank goodness we all help out otherwise, well one can just image....
It's rather an electronic life we lead it seems---Thomas Edison would be so proud of how far we've come!  Tonight for example my son worked the photo for the banner of this blog. I asked if he would post a new picture for me from my collection, but he said -"Get done with what you're doing now, & you will post it." So that's going to be tonight's tech. lesson.  Meanwhile as I've been clicking away on this key board my husband was using the DVD player in the other room  to do his Qigong practice, as our youngest son was putting together an application essay, & getting input from his brother on this his [?] second draft. So where would we be without these modern inventions? I'm sure we would have improvised-- for with all our modern conveniences comes a heavy price.  We do our best to live green, as our home is a  modest passive solar original. My husband calls it a barn, which it is to a certain extent. We were part of the "Back to the Earth Movement" types, even though our farming skills are rather nil.  To make up for that I do my produce purchasing at the local Farmer's Market or Co-op whenever possible along with the local chain grocery stores which are necessary for us. Today was very cold in the low teens late this pm, & with the long winter ahead of us I continue to marvel at our modern conveniences, taking nothing for granted, appreciating fully humankind's unique potential to create & invent, remaining hopeful that we will find a way out of this polluted quandary we modern humans have created.      

No comments: