Tuesday, January 8, 2008

At Home On The Campaign Trail

It's been a few days since my last entry.  Since then we've had a "Surprise Birthday Party" for my husband which we did on Saturday the 5th, it was wonderful!  The hardest part was for our 24 yr. old son, he was the person assigned to keep his Dad out of the house until our guests were to arrive. It was touch & go for awhile that Saturday, as my husband was already coming up with so many projects to do including changing the oil in his car.  Well that never happened as our son got him promptly distracted with an out of town car related errand.  
Being together with family & friends to celebrate those landmark events in life are truly indescribable.  Each one of our three sons expressed in their own words what it is their father means to them-- we raised our plastic cups with the red bubbly that only the classic-- Andre's Cold Duck could provide, the very same cocktail he & I drank so free fully during our first summer vacation in 1971 in Atlantic City, the place of the "Original Monopoly Boardwalk".  We would climb up to the lifeguard's seat our first night there, on that very dark & peaceful beach--taking in the sounds & the vast view of the Atlantic.  Here it is so many years later, toasting my husband's 60th to-be, [he turns 60 @ the end of the month] surrounded by the most special people in our lives & telling them the Andre Story!
For the past few days leading up to the party- the continued planning & the down time- "After the Party" [I believe that's a song I heard last yr. when we were visiting our son in Boston & he took us to this really upbeat, rather hippy-type, ice cream place he thought I would like, which I did!] ,  during these past few days since the party, I've prefer to just plain have some quiet downtime for moi. Going for walks outside-- enjoying this January thaw & playing arround in my Peace Garden.  
I've been able to catch up with friends a little via/email & the phone, our lives continue to unfold, & go full circle....be it a dear friend who has returned from visiting an ill parent far, far, away, or another friend who is able to take in a little ocean time for herself between her husband's illness & her mom's senior, senior years.  All these circles, these cycles of our lives, their orbits, & interconnecting orbits.....
And within these life circles,  within these orbits also flows the political process.....
This afternoon my husband, & two of our sons left for New Hampshire- "These are historic times!", they tell me.  On Saturday during my husbands party two of our guests had to leave to also go to New Hampshire, they felt strongly about supporting their candidate.  The next day my friend said-"The people need a leader they can follow." & here it is the date of the New Hampshire Primary & our Law Student son, & our History Major son convinced their dad that "Yes", my friend's statement holds some shreds of truth. 
For me it's very different--I'm very much "at home", for this or any campaign.  All I want is Peace in the Land, for people to treat themselves & everyone w/ dignity & respect.  Ever since so many years ago when my father was forced to face a very serious & terminal illness- he was mucho big on politics in his life time.  Ever since then, for me politics holds no zest.  People will always be people, & governments will never be able to institute human kindness.  So w/that in mind- my mind's made up----I will always vote, & will always vote for the person who upholds the "Human Kindness Principles"-- "The Golden Rule".  We will all follow our own conscience, our own hearts. Depending on one's sense --time moves slowly or time moves fast, nonetheless, time is ever moving.  Moving us into, & out of these interconnecting orbits, our universal spheres.  "These times will always be a changing...."
                                                           ****Amen****

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Push enough pebbles together, and you can create a mountain.........

Anonymous said...

just long enough for the town government to allow it to be strip mined for gravel!